If you’ve hacked together your own Google Calendar integration with IFTTT or Zapier, this 2-way sync will likely end up duplicating some of your tasks. To avoid an infinite loop of task duplication, we recommend turning off all previous calendar integrations first.
Keep your Google Calendar and Todoist completely in sync with a real-time, two-way integration.
Once you authorize the integration, tasks with a due date and/or time in Todoist will automatically be added to a Google calendar of your choosing. (You’ll also have the option to only sync tasks from a specific project).
Likewise, any events created in that calendar will automatically be added to the Todoist project of your choosing.
Of course with a true 2-way sync, changes you make in Google Calendar – like editing an event name or changing the date – will instantly be reflected back in Todoist, and vice versa.
All tasks created from Google Calendar will have a default @gcal label. (You can change the label by editing the integration after you’ve connected the apps.)
How to connect your Todoist with Google Calendar
- Sign into the Todoist web app (this integration can only be authorized via the web app).
- Click on the gear icon in the upper-right and select Settings.
- Click on the Integrations tab.
- Then click Connect next to Google Calendar.
After signing into your Google account, you’ll be asked:
- Which calendar you want your tasks added to. You can choose one of your existing calendars, or create a new one just for your Todoist tasks so you can toggle them on and off in your calendar view. Only events created in that calendar will be added as Todoist tasks.
- To sync your entire Todoist account or just one specific project. For example, you may have a Meetings or Content Calendar project that you want synced with Google Calendar, but nothing else.
- Which Todoist project you want new Google Calendar tasks added to. New events created in the connected calendar will automatically be added to this project. If you’re not sure which project to select, we recommend using your Todoist Inbox. You can always move the tasks to another project later.
- A default event duration. New Todoist tasks with a due date and time will show up in Google Calendar with this duration. You can always make changes to the event in Google Calendar once it’s created.
- Whether or not you want to sync tasks with a due date but no time. You can choose to sync these tasks as all day events in Google Calendar, or you can opt to only sync tasks with a due date and time.
You can set a custom event duration from Todoist on a task by task basis by typing something like [80m] into the task name. When you save the task, “[80m]” will be removed from the task name and a new Google Calendar event will be created with a duration of 1 hour and 20 minutes. For now, this will only work using “m” (for minutes).
After you’ve connected your calendar, you can go back to the same Integrations page to update your preferences any time.
Q: Google Calendar and Todoist aren’t syncing. How can I fix this?
A: Here are a few things you can try to help Todoist and Google Calendar sync properly.
- In Todoist, ensure you are adding tasks to the project that has been synced with Google Calendar. You can verify which project is synced by heading to your Todoist Settings, selecting the Integrations tab and looking at the Synced Project under Google Calendar.
- Make sure you are logged in to the right Google Calendar account. When you set up the integration, you chose a Google Account to sync, and you must be logged in to that account to see the Google Calendar that syncs with Todoist.
- In Google Calendar, you need to ensure the specific calendar that syncs with Todoist is active so you can see its events. To do this, look to the left of your Google Calendar screen and find your synced calendar. You can click it to toggle it on and off, so make sure it’s on. For more help on showing and hiding Google Calendars, go to Google Calendar help.
- You should check your Google Calendar integration status to see if it's working properly. You can find it by heading to your Todoist Settings, selecting the Integrations tab and under Google Calendar, see whether the status is OK (as seen below). If it isn’t, remove the integration and re-install it.
- You can also check the connection log by clicking the ⓘ symbol to the right of the status. Include this connection log if you are still having trouble and need to contact our support team.
If you have tried everything, and you’re still not syncing, try forcing a sync by heading to your Todoist Settings, selecting the Integrations tab and clicking sync to the right of the Google Calendar entry.
Q: How do I remove completed tasks in Google Calendar after I’ve completed them in Todoist?
A: After you complete a task, you can either keep the completed task visible in Google Calendar, or remove the completed tasks from view. The default is to leave completed tasks in the calendar. If you would rather remove it, follow the directions below:
Head to your Todoist Settings, select the Integrations tab and clicking edit to the right of the Google Calendar entry. Click the When a task is completed dropdown menu and select Remove it from Google Calendar, then click Save.
You can also switch back at any time.
Q: I've accidentally deleted tasks in Todoist that were synced from Google Calendar and now they've been removed from my calendar. Is there a way to restore them?
A: Yes, you can restore any deleted events via the Google Calendar Trash Bin. Simply select the events you want to restore and click the undo icon.
Q: Will past events and overdue tasks sync when the integration is set up?
A: No, only tasks and events with a due date set in the future will be synced between Todoist and Google Calendar.