Todoist widgets give you easy access to your task list from your home screen, saving you time and keeping you on top of everything. There are two types of widgets you can place anywhere on your home screen:
- Add task shortcut – Tap this shortcut to open Quick Add.
- Task list widget – Use this fully featured widget to control Todoist right from your home screen (see below).
How to set up your widget
- Long press on an empty area of the home screen.
- Select Widgets.
- Find Todoist.
- Long press on one of the widgets and then drag and drop it onto your home screen.
Setting up the Todoist task list widget
If you choose the Todoist task list widget, the Widget settings screen will open to help you customize your widget. As you select your options, you’ll see a preview of your widget at the top of the screen.
- Choose view: Choose which view, project, label, or filter you’ll see in the widget. You can change this later.
- Theme: Select a custom theme for the widget itself. From the classic Todoist red and white to dark theme, it’s up to you. This choice will only affect your widget theme.
- Opacity: Set how transparent your widget will be. 0 is fully transparent, 100 is opaque.
- Compact mode: Select compact mode and your widget will display more tasks at once by reducing the size of each task. You’ll still see dates, priorities (as a color to the left of a task), but you won’t see a complete task circle. Simply tap a task to open task view to see every detail and complete the task.
- Show Todoist icon: Select to show the Todoist icon in your widget’s toolbar. When you tap the app icon, it will take you straight to Todoist.
- Use preset style: Choose from a handful of recommended preset styles like Transparent dark or Compact.
- When you’re done, tap the checkmark at the top right to save.
How to use and change your widget
Once your widget is active, here’s how you can use it and change any settings:
- To open task view and edit your task as usual, tap on a task.
- To complete a task, tap the circle to the left of a task (not available in compact mode).
- To change to another project, label, or filter view, tap the down arrow at the top left.
- To add a task, tap the + button at the top right.
- To open the Widget settings, tap the gear icon at the top right.
- To go to the Todoist app, tap the Todoist icon at the top left.
- To resize your widget, long-press the widget, then drag the handles at the edges to whatever size you’d like.
What if I want a completely transparent widget with white text, for when I use a dark wallpaper?
In your widget settings, set the Theme to Dark theme and set the Opacity to 0%.
What if I want black text and a dark opacity for when I use a light wallpaper?
In your widget settings, set the Theme to Neutral theme and set the Opacity to something above 50% or so.