Todoist widgets give you easy access to your task list from your home screen, saving you time and keeping you on top of everything. There are two types of widgets you can place anywhere on your home screen:
- Add task shortcut – Tap this shortcut to open Quick Add.
- Task list widget – Use this fully featured widget to control Todoist right from your home screen (see below).
- Productivity widget - Get an overview of your current productivity stats, like how close you are to reaching your daily or weekly goals, as well as your current Karma score.
Weekly goals and trends are currently available on Pro and Business plans only.
How to set up your widget
- Long press on an empty area of the home screen.
- Select Widgets.
- Find Todoist.
- Long press on one of the widgets and then drag and drop it onto your home screen.
Setting up the Todoist task list widget
If you choose the Todoist task list widget, the Widget settings screen will open to help you customize your widget. As you select your options, you’ll see a preview of your widget at the top of the screen.
- Choose view: Choose which view, project, label, or filter you’ll see in the widget. You can change this later.
- Theme: Select a custom theme for the widget itself. From the classic Todoist red and white to dark theme, it’s up to you. This choice will only affect your widget theme.
- Opacity: Set how transparent your widget will be. 0 is fully transparent, 100 is opaque.
- Compact mode: Select compact mode and your widget will display more tasks at once by reducing the size of each task. You’ll still see dates, priorities (as a color to the left of a task), but you won’t see a complete task circle. Simply tap a task to open task view to see every detail and complete the task.
- Show Todoist icon: Select to show the Todoist icon in your widget’s toolbar. When you tap the app icon, it will take you straight to Todoist.
- Use preset style: Choose from a handful of recommended preset styles like Transparent dark or Compact.
- When you’re done, tap the checkmark at the top right to save.
Setting up the Todoist productivity widget
The Widget settings screen will appear as soon as you have added the Productivity widget. You can also customize your widget any time later by tapping the gear icon at the bottom right.
- Theme: Select a custom color theme for your widget. You can easily change it depending on your mood or to better fit your screen background. The selected theme will be applied only to the widget itself.
- Opacity: Set how transparent your widget will be: 0 is fully transparent, 100 is opaque.
- Productivity settings: whether you’ve decided to be more ambitious or to slow down, edit your productivity goals whenever you need.
- To resize the widget, long press it, then drag the handles at the left and right edges to make the widget more wide or narrow.
- To view your productivity stats in more detail, tap the widget and it will open the Productivity screen in the app.
How to use and change your widget
Once your widget is active, here’s how you can use it and change any settings:
- To open task view and edit your task as usual, tap on a task.
- To complete a task, tap the circle to the left of a task (not available in compact mode).
- To change to another project, label, or filter view, tap the down arrow at the top left.
- To add a task, tap the + button at the top right.
- To open the Widget settings, tap the gear icon at the top right.
- To go to the Todoist app, tap the Todoist icon at the top left.
- To resize your widget, long press the widget, then drag the handles at the edges to whatever size you’d like.
What if I want a completely transparent widget with white text, for when I use a dark wallpaper?
In your widget settings, set the Theme to Dark theme and set the Opacity to 0%.
What if I want black text and a dark opacity for when I use a light wallpaper?
In your widget settings, set the Theme to Neutral theme and set the Opacity to something above 50% or so.
I don’t see my Karma score in the Productivity widget.
Check if Karma is enabled in your account. Go to the app Settings and select Productivity. Make sure the checkbox next to Karma is ticked on. Also note that if you don’t have an internet connection and you’ve cleared the app cache, the Karma won’t be able to load.
My widget looks frozen, how can I fix this?
This can be affected by an automatic battery saver that some devices have. Here's how you can fix this:
- Open your device Settings.
- Open Apps.
- Scroll down and find Todoist.
- Click on Battery, and select Optimize battery usage.
- Select to show All apps.
- Find Todoist, and disable the toggle next to it.