If Todoist isn't syncing across your apps, please try the following steps to resolve the issue:
Manually syncing your Todoist account
If your Todoist account isn’t syncing automatically, you can force a manual sync in your Todoist app. You can find instructions on how to do this here.
If Todoist is still failing to sync after you try forcing a manual sync, please try following the troubleshooting steps below:
Basic troubleshooting steps
1. Check if you’re logged in with the same Todoist account
In some cases, it might look like your account isn’t syncing across platforms, but in reality, you’re logged into two different accounts. This could be because you either have multiple Todoist accounts or you might have created a new one by accident.
You can check whether you’re logged into the same account on each platform in your account settings. Here is how:
- Click your avatar in the top-right corner of Todoist.
- Select Settings.
- Next to email address, you can see which email address is associated with the account you're currently logged into.
2. Check if you’re using the latest version of Todoist
Running an outdated version of Todoist can cause sync issues. Check our What's New page to see if you're using the newest version of Todoist.
If you're unable to update to the latest version, please refer to this guide to verify if your device/OS/browser is still supported.
Advanced troubleshooting steps
1. Make sure you have an internet connection and that nothing is blocking Todoist's network connection
If you’re using the web app, you can check if there is a browser extension or plugin that might be interfering with Todoist by opening todoist.com in a private window. If Todoist works in a private window, it may mean that one of your extensions/plug-ins is blocking your connection to Todoist’s servers.
If you're using one of our mobile apps, make sure that cellular data is enabled for the Todoist app.
2. Check for error or warning messages
In most cases, the app tries to warn you when it’s not syncing correctly. It will do so by displaying a yellow warning triangle in the top bar of the screen. If you see this icon, click on it to see if it'll display a message. This will give you information about why your app isn’t syncing (for example, you might’ve reached a project limit) and therefore also how to resolve the issue.
3. Make sure you haven’t hit one of Todoist’s limits
Todoist has certain limits to ensure smooth performance and hitting one of the limits could cause sync issues. Have a look at Todoist’s limits here and check your account to see whether you have hit one of these limits.
Fixing your sync issue
If you’re experiencing a sync issue, you would normally be able to fix this by logging out of your account and in again, clearing cache, or reinstalling the app. However, these fixes may cause you to lose unsynced data.
To check what data hasn’t synced successfully, click the error log icon at the top of your app (this only appears when there’s a sync issue).
Still not working? Report it to our Support team
If you've tried all the above steps and your app still isn’t syncing correctly, report it to our support team as a technical issue and include the information below:
- The app that's not syncing correctly. You can identify this by following the steps below:
- Log into Todoist in a browser.
- Make sure you have the latest version of your task list (the one stored on our servers) by first logging out of Todoist for Web and then logging back in again.
- Add a task from another platform (for example, in your mobile app) and see if it appears in Todoist for Web.
- If it doesn’t appear, the app in which you added a task is the one having trouble syncing.
- If your added task does appear in Todoist for Web, try adding a new task in Todoist for Web and see if it shows up on your other Todoist apps. If the task doesn’t appear in one of your apps, it means Todoist for Web is failing to sync.
- The app’s version number
- The type of data that isn’t syncing (task/comment/label/project)
- A screenshot of any error/warning logs or messages
- Any troubleshooting steps you may have already tried to resolve the issue
If Todoist isn’t syncing on your Apple Watch, please refer to this article and follow the steps in the FAQ section.
My Gmail/Chrome/Firefox extensions or Outlook add-in is not syncing
If you’re using one of our Gmail, Chrome or Firefox extensions, try reinstalling it and see if that fixes the issue.
In some cases, one of your other extensions or plug-ins may be blocking Todoist. Try disabling all extensions or plug-ins, except for Todoist, and see if this fixes the issue.
If you’re using the Outlook add-in, try clearing the cache from this directory: C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Todoist\Outlook\
My 2-way Google Calendar integration is not syncing
If you’re using the 2-way integration with Google Calendar and you notice that Google Calendar and Todoist aren’t syncing, please refer to the FAQ section in this article and follow the instructions.
My shared project is not syncing
If one of your collaborators is having problems seeing the same data you see in a shared project, try removing them from the project and re-inviting them.
If re-inviting the collaborator to your project doesn’t help, please reach out to our support team and include the following information in your report:
- The link to the affected shared project (you can get the link by opening Todoist in your browser, going to the project and copying the link in the address bar).
- The email address that’s linked to the Todoist account of the collaborator experiencing the sync issue
I shared my parent project, but the sub-projects are still not shared
At the moment, it’s not possible to share a project plus all of its sub-projects at the same time. Each project needs to be shared individually in order for it to show up for your collaborators.
My iOS widget is not syncing
If your widget on iOS is not updating, please check the following:
- Do you have an Internet connection on your device? If you're using a cellular network, make sure Todoist is allowed to use cellular data on iPhone's/iPad's Settings → Mobile Data.
- Make sure your device is not in low-power mode.
- Make sure your device's battery level is above 30%.
- The Background App Refresh is allowed in iPhone's/iPad's Settings → Todoist.
- You're not force closing the Todoist app.
- Your device is not hot (for example, it might get hot when using it for a WiFi hot spot connection).
If the issue persists, please report it to the support team.